Monday, June 20, 2011

RECIPE OF THE WEEK : HUNGARIAN COMFORT FOOD ~ CHICKEN PAPRICASH


This is a very special recipe. It brings back sweet memories of my Daddy. He used to make it often and taught me how. I miss you Daddy...

Now for the recipe...

CHICKEN PAPRICASH

1 whole chicken cut cut up or thighs or all white meat pieces
1 medium onion diced
2 tablespoons veg. oil
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt (you can add salt to taste after)
Water (or chicken stock if you use all white meat)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup flour

In a large pot saute onion in oil until translucent. Add Paprika and salt and mix.

Add chicken and stir around and coat the chicken with the mixture.

Add water just to cover the chicken and simmer until the chicken is done. All white meat doesn't take as long. I simmer the whole chicken parts about one hour. White meat only, about 30 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the pot. Remove the skin and bones. (this is why I like to use chicken tenders... so much easier) Set chicken aside.

Put sour cream in a bowl with the flour. Add a little cold water or chicken stock to it and mix well. Gradually add this to the pot to thicken the sauce stirring constantly while it is on medium heat. You may have to add more flour and water if it isn't thick enough and repeat the process. Don't add more sour cream though.

That's it! Serve with noodles, rice or spetzel. Delicious!





8 comments:

  1. Ah! My favorite family dish! And everyone's recipe is different. Yours is close to my families' recipe. This made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a favorite in our family as well, amber. Thank you for posting.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. In Hungarian we call it Nookedley (spelled phonetically) Yum!

      Delete
  3. I have a recipe where the chicken is made like u said that instead of the rice or noodles, you use a baked potato and fill it with the chicken mixture...btw I just found this blog!

    Im in the CAST team also...

    http://sweetybird09.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweetybird!
      I'll have to try it with the baked potato!

      Delete
  4. This looks really yummy! And Easy too! Will it work in a crock pot? May have to give that a try...
    (Heading over to "like" on FB)
    = >
    Crystal
    http://idahocrystal.blogspot.com/
    facebook.com/adcdpage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal!
      I don't know how I missed these comments on my post... Almost one year later!
      I'm not sure about the crock pot, but, I'd like to try it. Would be very easy to do.
      Thank you for posting!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Thank you so much for posting. Feel free to leave a link to your studio or web page. :o) button