Wednesday, April 28, 2010

IN LOVING MEMORY-MY DADDY







Louis Anthony Heringes
June 14, 1919 ~ April 27, 2010

Daddy was born June 14th on Flag Day in 1919 to Hungarian immigrants, Frank and Sophia Heringes in Cleveland Ohio. He had five brothers and two sisters. When he was 12, his father passed away, leaving his young mother to raise 8 children during the depression. They were very difficult times.

He was proud to be an American and served his country in the US Army in WWII. He fought on the front lines in New Guinea and was awarded "The Purple Heart of Bravery". All of the Heringes boys served in the Army in WWII, and, thank God, all of them returned.

Soon after returning from the war, he married his sweetheart Stella, my mom, in early December 1945. Darla, Linda and Louie Jr. came along to complete the family.

In 1957 the family traveled cross country in Daddy's beloved 1951 chevy pulling a 20 foot trailer. He loved that car! Over the years, he actually wore the paint off in spots from polishing it so much. Did you see the Lucy and Desi movie "the Long, Long Trailer"? (personal story) "It was late August and very hot. While climbing the rocky mountains, the car kept overheating. It seemed like every time we turned a corner we'd have to stop and let the car cool down a bit before adding water to the radiator that was stored in canvas bags that hung off the bumpers of the car. When that ran out, he resorted to draining the toilet tank in the trailer. We just made it over the mountains using every last drop of water we had."

Our mom Stella passed away in 1964 after a very long illness.

Daddy loved to cook. Especially Hungarian food. He made the best Kolbas (coal-bas) sausage, and keflis (keeflees) cookies. He loved to sing funny songs, joke around and do gardening. He used to have the most beautiful landscaped house in his neighborhood.

My husband Richard introduced May Wilson to Daddy and they were married for 23 years. She passed away in 1996.

Daddy is survived by his daughter Darla Heringes, his daughter and son in law Linda and Richard Gurule, his son and daughter in law Louie Heringes Jr. and D'Ann, his grand-daughter and her husband Courtney and Ron Olivas, their two boys Tanner and Aiden, and his grand-daughter Jordan and her husband Christian Szabo, and step children, Marge, Steve and Carlene.

Just this past Monday, the day before he passed, Tinkerbelle and I spent precious time with Daddy. The past couple of months, He hadn't felt up to coming to the activites room for our little singing time with the residents, but, when I walked into the room there he was. He had a big smile on his face and said excitedly, "the war is over!" When someone has dementia, it's best not to tell them they're not right about something so, I quickly said, "that's wonderful, Daddy, lets sing some patriotic songs!" We sang two of his favorites, "God bless America" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic". Daddy was so animated. He was waving his arms like he was directing the choir and making funny faces at me making me laugh while trying to sing. After the program, we went outside on the patio for a while. He suddenly got very tired. It was time for lunch, so we went inside. He didn't have much of an appetite and kept falling asleep. I sat next to him and Tinkerbelle rested her little head on his knee. I woke him after a while to tell him I loved him. He answered, "I love you, too", and we said goodbye.

Less than 24 hours later, he was taken to the hospital. My sister Darla got there first. He was still alive when I got there, but only for a few minutes and he was unconscious. I told him I loved him and not to be afraid, and that Jesus was with him. Just a few minutes later, he just stopped breathing. He left this world very peacefully.

Daddy was right. The battle for him is truly over. He has no more pain, no more feeble body, no more dementia. He's with the Lord in Heaven now. The tears are bitter sweet... I miss my precious Daddy so much, but, it gives me great joy knowing that he is with Jesus and we will be together again one day.
Lord Jesus, please give my Daddy a big hug and kiss for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWB-OvMTK5M



25 comments:

  1. That is so sad. My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Blessings and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Joyce aka sweety, I just wanted to let you know thatI am sorry about your Father, I have an older Daddy with dementia who was born in 1926 and can relate to you. your Daddy is in heaven...


    God Bless you...

    Love Sweetybird
    http://sweetybird09.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your incredible loss. I am so glad to hear that you were able to spend some very precious time with him recently. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful father you had! I am sorry for your loss and pray that Jesus comforts you during your mourning. You are in my thoughts and prayers! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Button, I am so sorry about your loss, but find comfort in knowing your daddy is with your Father.

    My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family in your time of mourning.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have great memories of your dad. I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Button, so sorry for your loss sweet friend. I hope your dad and my mom can meet and talk about us together :) My heart goes out to you and your family.

    Love you,
    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Button,
    {{hugs}} You did such a wonderful write up on your Daddy!! What wonderful memories!! I will be praying for you and your family!!
    Love you!!
    Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so touched by your moving story of your dadd's life Button. Praying for you and your family at this time.

    Hugs,
    Deb (aka dspdavey).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful memory, to sing with your father. They are some of my favorite songs. May God bless you and your family and bring you peace in knowing he is with our Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart breaks, saddness of losing a loved one never leaves, but Loving others, our Passion and memories help our heart bring happiness which helps soften the pain. My Dad also suffers from Dementia. My prayers are with you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  12. {{{{{Button}}}}} I cannot imagine....I know, and my heart goes out to you. Let the song of your Daddy's spirit, remain in your heart, forever and ever.

    and as I stand outside gazing at the stars and the beautiful full moon, I will imagine my Dad and yours are sitting back and sharing war-time stories and laughing as their wives chase them around the heavens.♥♥♥

    Hinááh bee atiingóó éí naashá
    On the Trail of Life, I walk in beauty
    Nizhóní naashá
    In Harmony I exist, I walk in beauty

    Navajo Prayer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Button, what a beautiful tribute to a man who helped make you who you are. I know you feel very blessed to have such touching memories. When my mother passed away, I was with her and still to this day find that a great comfort. Just knowing you were there when he was greeted by Jesus is so special. I am praying the Lord brings joyful memories into your sorrow and you feel His arms of comfort around you.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear sweet Button, I am so sorry for your loss. We know our loved ones are in a better place and of course we want them to be, but our hearts still break because we miss them so. Praying that you and your family will feel God's comfort, peace and love surrounding you as you grieve the loss of your sweet daddy.
    Love,
    Vicki/Ellielee

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about your loss. May the Lord give you comfort and peace, during this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I pray God will give you all the comfort you need as you miss your dear Dad. Praise God he is with Jesus xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear daddy in this life; I'll look forward to meeting him someday in heaven... he sounds like a wonderful man! I'll be praying for you today. (((HUGS))) Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Daddy went to be with Jesus about a year and a half ago, but there are days the tears still come. Like you I was blessed with a wonderful Daddy, and he went very peacefully, knowing his battle was over and Jesus was waiting for him. I pray you will feel God's peace and comfort during this bittersweet time.
    God bless you.
    (((hugs)))
    Lavon

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful tribute to your precious Dad. So good that you could be with him when he went into Jesus's arms. Praise the Lord!

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. Button: My heart aches for you. The loss of our Dad's is tragic. You have posted a wonderful tribute t your "Daddy".

    I am sorry you hurt.

    Your Daddy is rejoicing in heaven today. Singing loudly.


    {{hugs}}
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful remembrance, Button. God bless and comfort you and your family in this time of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my sweet button..You are daddy's baby girl..You will always be his baby girl..I know you are experiencing pain honey..There are no words that I can give you, but I can close my eyes and you and I are sitting on Jesus lap as children and he is wiping away your tears.

    I love you. I have loved you from the beginning and I will always be there to listen to you sweetie pie.. smooches..love Trude

    ReplyDelete
  23. Button, what a beautiful tribute to your Daddy. I smiled and cried through it. Jesus is very close to you right now wanting to comfort you in whatever way you need at the moment. He'll have lots to tell about about these days. Be blessed and comforted, my dear sister.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry to hear that Button :( that was a beautiful post. i'm sure he's now happy in heaven :) god bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, Button. Sending you love and hugs as I know your pain well. Praying for peace and comfort as you remember precious moments and memories with your dad.

    Much love,
    Halo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you so much for posting. Feel free to leave a link to your studio or web page. :o) button